Welcome to Munich and the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry

Visa Regulations

EU Citizens

Nationals of an EU country do not require a visa in order to enter Germany to live and work.

Non-EU Citizens of “associated” countries

Citizens of certain non-EU countries do not need a visa for entering Germany. These countries include e.g. Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand and the USA. Please refer to the following list of the German Federal Foreign Office:

Table of countries whose citizens require/do not require visas to enter Germany

If you intend to work in Germany and stay longer than three months you need to have an electronic residence permit "eAT" (elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel). This is an official document confirming the permission to stay and legally work in Germany. In order to get one you have to apply for it at the local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde).

Non-EU Citizens of all other countries

To enter Germany you require a visa. Please contact your nearest embassy or consulate with your letter of invitation/working agreement and apply for a visa three months in advance. Entering Germany with a tourist visa will not be accepted. A residence permit for a longer stay in Germany allows you to travel to all countries that signed the Schengen Agreement.

Please note that Great Britain is a non-Schengen country.

Important documents

You will need to have the following documents ready before your arrival in Germany:

• Passport, which must be valid for at least 12 months

• Letter of invitation sent to you by the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry

• A document or a certificate confirming that you have received a scholarship/contract from the Max Planck

Institute of Biochemistry or another academic or private institution in Germany

• Entrance visa if applicable (issuing authority of the German Embassy in your country)

Documents needed by families

• Passport, for each family member as applicable

• A birth certificate with a verified German translation, for each family member

• A marriage certificate (if applicable) with verified German translation

Zur Redakteursansicht