Curriculum vitae – Matthias Mann
NAME Matthias Mann
TITLE Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. Dr. h.c.
POSITION TITLE Director
Department of Proteomics and Signal Transduction
Max-Planck-Institute of Biochemistry
CONTACT DETAILS Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry
Am Klopferspitz 18
82152 Martinsried (near Munich), Germany
Tel: +49 89 8578 2557
Fax: +49 89 8578 2219
|1982||Georg August Universität Göttingen; B.A.; Physics, Mathematics|
|1984||Georg August Universität Göttingen; Master’s Degree; Physics|
|1988||Yale University; Ph.D.; Chemical Engineering|
|1989–1992||Post doctoral fellow and later Senior Scientist in the Department of Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark|
|1992–1998||Group leader of the Protein & Peptide Group, European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), Heidelberg|
|1998–2007||Professor of Bioinformatics, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark; Director of the Center for Experimental BioInformatics (CEBI)|
|2005–||Director at the Max-Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany|
|2007–||Additional appointment as director of the Department of Proteomics, The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research, Faculty of Heath Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark|
|1991||Malcom Award by the journal Organic Mass Spectrometry|
|1996||Mattauch Herzog Prize in Mass Spectrometry|
|1997||Hewlett-Packard Prize for Strategic Research in Automation of Sample Preparation|
|1998||Edman Prize by the “Methods in Protein Structure Analysis” Society|
|1999||Bieman Medal for Outstanding Achievement in Mass Spectrometry (American Society for Mass Spectrometry)|
|1999||Named second most cited scientist in chemistry in the years 1994 to 1996 by the Institute of Scientific Information|
|1999||Elected visiting professor Harvard Medical School|
|1999||Elected to the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO)|
|2001||Bernhard and Matha Rasmussen’s Memorial award in Cancer Research|
|2001||Meyenburg Cancer Research Award|
|2001||Fesenius Prize for Analytical Chemistry by the German Chemical Society|
|2004||Honorary Doctorate University Utrecht, Netherlands|
|2004||Lundbeck Nordic Research Prize|
|2004||Novo-Nordisk Prize (shared with Prof. Peter Roepstorff)|
|2005||Anfinsen Award of the Protein Society|
|2006||Biochemical Analysis Prize by the German Society for Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine|
|2007||Honorary Professor at The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen|
|2007||2nd most cited European Scientist for the last ten years according to ScienceWatch (ISI)|
|2008||HUPO Distinguished Achievement Award in Proteomic Sciences (Shared with Prof. Denis Hochstrasser)|
|2009||Honorary Degree awarded from University of Dundee|
|2010||Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph von Schelling Prize awarded by the Bavarian Academy of Sciences|
|2011||Fyodor Lynen Lecture Medal 2011 (German Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)|
|2012||Leibniz Prize of the German Research Society|
|2012||Ernst Schering Prize|
|2012||Louis-Jeantet Foundation Prize for Medicine|
|2012||Körber European Science Award|
|2013||Elected member of Leopoldina German National Academy of Sciences|
|2013||Winner of m4 Award – Ministry of Economic Affairs supports Personalized Medicine|
|2015||Barry L. Karger Medal in Bioanalytical Chemistry|
|2015||Theodor Bücher Lecture and Medal|
|2015||Danish Order of Dannebrog Knights Cross|
|2017||Winner of Lennart Philipson Award|
Current Editorial Board Memberships:
- Cell Systems
- Clinical Mass Spectrometry
- Molecular and Cellular Proteomics
Matthias Mann is currently involved in more than 6 external grants. Main sources: European Union, BMBF (The German Federal Ministry of Education and Research), Michael J Fox Foundation, Excellence Initiative of the Federal Republic of Germany and the German Research Foundation (DFG) as well as joint projects with various industrial concerns.
Dr. Mann has authored and co-authored more than 650 publications with over 160,000 citations according to ISI (h-factor more than 190), making him one of the most highly cited researchers worldwide
Ten most important publications (newest first)
- Aebersold R, Mann M. (2016) Mass-spectrometric exploration of proteome structure and function. Nature. 537(7620):347-55
- Geyer PE, Kulak NA, Pichler G, Holdt LM, Teupser D, Mann M. (2016) Plasma Proteome Profiling to Assess Human Health and Disease. Cell Syst.2(3):185-195
- MY Hein, NC Hubner, I Poser, J Cox, N Nagaraj, Y Toyoda, IA Gak, I Weisswange, J Mansfeld, F Buchholz, AA Hyman & M Mann. A human interactome in three quantitative dimensions organized by stoichiometries and abundances. Cell. 2015 Oct 22;163(3):712-23
- Vermeulen M, Eberl HC, Matarese F, Marks H, Denissov S, Butter F, Lee KK, Olsen JV, Hyman AA, Stunnenberg HG, Mann M. (2010) Quantitative interaction proteomics and genome-wide profiling of epigenetic histone marks and their readers. Cell. 142(6):967-80.
- Choudhary, C., Kumar, C., Gnad, F., Nielsen, M.L., Rehman, M., Walther, T.C., Olsen, J.V., and Mann, M. (2009). Lysine acetylation targets protein complexes and co-regulates major cellular functions. Science 325, 834-840.
- de Godoy, L.M., Olsen, J.V., Cox, J., Nielsen, M.L., Hubner, N.C., Frohlich, F., Walther, T.C., and Mann, M. (2008). Comprehensive mass-spectrometry-based proteome quantification of haploid versus diploid yeast. Nature 455, 1251-1254.
- Olsen, J.V., Blagoev, B., Gnad, F., Macek, B., Kumar, C., Mortensen, P., and Mann, M. (2006). Global, In Vivo, and Site-Specific Phosphorylation Dynamics in Signaling Networks. Cell 127, 635-648.
- Ong, S.E., Blagoev, B., Kratchmarova, I., Kristensen, D.B., Steen, H., Pandey, A., and Mann, M. (2002). Stable Isotope Labeling by Amino Acids in Cell Culture, SILAC, as a Simple and Accurate Approach to Expression Proteomics. Mol Cell Proteomics 1, 376-386.
- Mann, M., and Wilm, M.S. (1994). Error Tolerant Identification of Peptides in Sequence Databases by Peptide Sequence Tags. Analytical Chemistry 66, 4390-4399.
- Wilm, M., Shevchenko, A., Houthaeve, T., Breit, S., Schweigerer, L., Fotsis, T., and Mann, M. (1996). Femtomole Sequencing of Proteins from Polyacrylamide Gels by Nano Electrospray Mass Spectrometry. Nature 379, 466 - 469.